Charlton Historical Society is collaborating with the Town of Charlton to oversee the historic #2 Schoolhouse and the Militia Lot. The five-year agreement with the town of Charlton outlines the responsibilities of both the town and CHS. The Society will “manage the day-to-day operations of the Premises and shall provide an annual report to the Town, which will include an activity review and a report on the current condition of the Premises.”
The Society will make recommendations for maintenance and restoration of the school to the Selectmen, who will decide subsequent steps. CHS will also provide an annual inventory of town-owned property that is located in the school, and oversee use of the town-owned militia lot at the corner of Northside Road and Stafford Street. Download the Application for Use of #2 Schoolhouse.
The #2 Schoolhouse is significant to the town. Located on the same site as a church, it was placed the foundation left when the church was moved to another town. It is the last of the district schools to remain in town ownership. Jesse Smith, a Captain during the American Revolution, donated the bell to be used by school. It is the same bell that was originally cast in 1719 for a church in Boston and then used in a church in Charlton. When the bell cracked, Mr. Smith had it recast. Classes at the school ceased in December 1949.
1820 District Bounds
Timeline Overview of Charlton Schools
Early Charlton Schools
1830 District School Locations